When a singer-songwriter wants to go on a solo tour with more than just a keyboard and her vocals to make it feel like she has the backing of a band, what does she do?
She installs Ableton, a software music sequencer and digital audio workstation, on her computer; acquires a TC Helicon Voice Loop Pedal; and begins to master these technologically-sophisticated additions to her array of available tools, resources and equipment.
She then taps into her innate musical intelligence with the influence of pop, rock and soul to produce mesmerizing harmonies that leave listeners spellbound!
That, in a nutshell, is what has transpired over the past couple of years in the life of extraordinary Philadelphia-based singer-songwriter, Lia Menaker!
Combining her reflective mind, theatrical flair, edgy poetry and soulfully-haunting sound into a musical blend of pop, rock, and blue-eyed soul, Lia Menaker has emerged onto the singer-songwriter scene in a way that is capturing attention and captivating audiences wherever she performs!
After singing and recording back-up and lead vocals for bands for several years, Lia established herself as a solo artist with the release of her debut album, Animal Behavior, in 2015.
She performed at South by Southwest in 2018, toured throughout the Midwest and South to promote her newest singles, “Push Pull” and “Blood on my Hands,” and her music was recently licensed to national and international networks such as MTV, PBS, and Netflix, for use in their programming.
The first song she performed in her 1st Show and 2nd Show on Alive with Clive is from Animal Behavior, and the last two songs in each show are songs she performs with her voice loop pedal.
While the title of the third song in each show was not yet determined at the time the shows were recorded, they now appear below.
Here are the lists of the songs Lia performed in her two shows on Alive with Clive:
In the 1st Show:
- “Dreams Speak” is a song that reflects the experience of being aware you’re having a dream while you’re sleeping;
- “Push Pull” is a song about conflicting emotions felt in a relationship;
- “These Days” is about wondering if struggling with the challenges of life is a personal or universal phenomenon; and
- “Noise” is a song about the interpersonal dexterity necessary to navigate your way through a turbulent socio-political environment.
“Caught between the calm and the commitment to change
In the 2nd Show:
- “Animal Behavior” is a song about the realization that in many ways human beings habitually act just like animals;
- “Blood on My Hands” is a song that recounts the discomfort felt when you’re the person who initiates a breakup;
- “All My Life” is about the moment when you realize that your yearning for full self-expression and fulfillment cannot be suppressed; and
- “To Be Human” is a song that makes us cognizant of the degree to which, because of our reliance on technology and indifference to humane values, we are becoming emotionally disconnected from each other.
“Are you satisfied?
By the time Lia has created all the tracks in the songs she performs with her voice loop pedal while she is performing the song, you realize she’s providing a multi-dimensional sonic experience for you that is truly remarkable — all the while connecting with you not just on an auditory level, but also:
- mentally, with her lyrics;
- physically, with her haunting melodies;
- emotionally, with the thought-provoking and soul-searching questions she poses in her songs; and
- spiritually, in that she causes us to reflect upon the way we are interacting with each other on our journey through life.
A pioneering trailblazer who is passionate about her craft and always seeking eagerly to go beyond the edge of what she knows and her comfort zone, Lia is definitely a singer-songwriter who is destined to make her mark on the world!
So, be on the lookout for her next record with songs on piano and voice loop pedal in 2019.
https://alivewithclive.tv – where today’s top singer-songwriters thrive!
DID YOU KNOW YOU CAN HAVE FUN AND WIN PRIZES IN THESE TWO CONTESTS?