After you’ve seen Nina Lee perform and after you absorb the lyrics to her songs, if you allow your mind to wander, it’s quite possible that you too might think of the Statue of Liberty and George Bernard Shaw’s famous quote about the splendid torch:
“This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being a force of nature instead of a feverish, selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy.
“I am of the opinion that my life belongs to the whole community, and as long as I live it is my privilege to do for it whatever I can.
“I want to be thoroughly used up when I die, for the harder I work the more I live. I rejoice in life for its own sake. Life is no “brief candle” for me. It is a sort of splendid torch which I have got hold of for the moment, and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it on to future generations.”
Why the quote about the splendid torch? And why the Statue of Liberty?
It’s because Nina has made it clear that she is not willing to conform to what’s popular or trendy in order to fit in, or compromise who she is to meet someone else’s idea of who she should be. Instead, . . .
Nina Lee is here to have her life burn brightly, like a splendid torch, creating a repertoire of songs about issues in life that are important and have relevance to peoples’ lives.
She also reminds us with her song, “Airborne,” that it’s because of the courage, bravery and sacrifice of our ancestors, like her great-grandmother and great-grandfather, a paratrooper who fought on D-Day in World War II (seen in the picture taken on their wedding day, below), that we’re able to enjoy the life and liberty we have today — and therefore, with the gift of life and opportunity we have been given through the hardships others have endured, we are being called to use our gifts and talent to contribute to the enhancement of life for all who are inhabiting the planet.
Plus, with her powerful stage presence, Nina commands attention and respect – like the Statue of Liberty with her splendid torch held high!
Following in the footsteps of Amy Winehouse and Adele, with the recent release of her debut EP, Snapshots (featuring a portrait of Nina painted by her sister, Emma, on the front cover, and a portrait of Nina by painted by her mom, Kelly, on the back), and with recent shows at Rockwood Music Hall and The Bitter End in New York City, at the age of 18 Nina is already beginning to win the hearts of a rapidly-increasing base of adoring music fans with each passing week.
Singing songs accompanied by her father, Andy Lee, one of the top sports and entertainment lawyers in New York City, with her ukulele, and on the piano, in two recent show on Alive with Clive Nina performed these eight songs:
In the 1st Show:
- “Golden Years” is a song dedicated to Nina’s mom’s parents to celebrate their loving relationship;
- “I Got This Light” is a song in which Nina acknowledges her mom for her nurturing, encouragement and support through difficult times;
- “Orange Backpack” is an exhortation to let go of thoughts and concerns that weigh you down or hold you back; and
- “Gotta Catch My Breath” is about setting boundaries to pause and reflect instead of reacting to every stimulus.
In the 2nd Show:
- “Safe Place” reminds us that we matter, no matter how bleak our lives may appear to be;
- “Willing” is about appreciating whatever is happening in your life right now rather than being consumed by concerns of the future;
- “Crazy Train” is an Ozzy Osbourne song for today’s times reformulated with a kinder, gentler tone; and
- “Airborne,” as noted above, is a tribute to Nina’s paternal late great-grandfather and her great-grandmother, to acknowledge the inspiring life they created for themselves and their family.
Though Nina speaks of a time when she was bullied, ironically, for writing an anti-bullying song, she has demonstrated that she has the resilience to overcome adversity, excel, and inspire others to shine – with the support of her loving family, friends and fans.
https://alivewithclive.tv – where today’s top singer-songwriters thrive!
DID YOU KNOW YOU CAN HAVE FUN AND WIN PRIZES IN THESE 3 CONTESTS?